Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Rabbit Rabbit

I guess I'm three days late to greet the new month. Oh well-- things go slower in Macedonia.
This is a good post to read if you haven't been keeping up with my blog [which is totally understandable], as it is the reflection/update that I submitted for J.Quill to be posted on the IDIP website. If you missed my first reflection or feel the need to see a cute photo of me as a platinum blonde, here is it:

http://www.seattleu.edu/IDIP/Inner.aspx?id=55446


Reflection #2

So here I am. My winter wear that I resented upon arrival is long packed away, my Macedonian language exceeding any and all personal expectations and I was told last week by a local, “You know enough about our country to get a Macedonian passport”. I’m not quite sure that’s true, but I accept the compliment with pride as I look back at the wealth of knowledge, personally, academically, and professionally I have acquired over the past few months here in Skopje.

I mentioned in my first reflection that I was working with Green Schools. My involvement with the environmental friendly skole ending up scrapping my idea of a qualitative evaluation system as many of the schools were unable to provide data or figures from which one could properly and fairly asses schools, and instead resigning their website and creating “project profiles” for the four pilot schools that are in their second year old Green Clubs now. I figure that since a main part of the evaluation system was for having concrete ways to show improvements done, the profiles will do that same this in a more holistic and qualitative approach. They look not only at decreases in expenditures, but also at changes in students’ behavior and attitudes, teacher-student communication, and student empowerment. Although my role in the Green Clubs has been almost exclusively one of observation, I was moved and inspired by the students involved and am incredibly proud of each of them for the passion and enthusiasm they display.

As I am still not yet done with my internship, I cannot comment on the completion of the second half of my work here, but I have become involved with peer-mediation clubs and organizations working with inter-ethnic dialogue and non-violent communication through the Forum ZFD. It is with this focus where I have discovered a passion. In high school back in Alaska, I worked in this area as a member of the Student for Social Responsibility and Mediation, but have not revisited or connected this interest with my recent world traveling until now. Here, I have discovered the value of education and youth work in social change, especially in the realm of multi-culturalism and inter-ethnic dialogue. In contrast to adults, the students I have observed and met feel passionate and empowered to change the status quo in the way they see their nation being ripped apart. As young as I am, I realize how easily jaded one becomes by society constantly rejecting social change from below, and am even personally inspired by them. And again, very very proud. These kids are amazing.

I’ve begun writing my social analysis paper due at the end of spring quarter. Reason number one for starting so early is my own fantastic forethought that I will probably not want to spend multiple hours in front of a computer during my senior spring quarter, but reason number two that has become much more important since I’ve begun the process has been the perspectives and assistance I have received from friends and colleges. Being so diverse and with ethnicity such a touchy subject, having differing backgrounds and cultures of my proof-readers has made a world of difference.

I will be sad to leave Skopje. I’ve made good friends, started pilates, and now will only eat French fries with sirenja (amazing Macedonian cheese) on them. I’ve established a life. Although I’m excited to go back and join my Seattle U and Alaska communities in the next few months, I look forward to coming back to Macedonia [next time I’m skipping the winter]!

Again, if you want to read more about my experience, please feel free to check out my blog: www.tessinmacedonia.blogspot.com

In peace (and non-violent communication),
Tess

No comments:

Post a Comment