Friday, March 19, 2010

Чао Скопје... Merhaba Istanbul!

Just wanted to quickly take a break from my reflective postings to give a more practical update.

I'm sitting in the Skopje airport right now, waiting for my flight to Istanbul in about 45 minutes. I never would have thought two and a half months ago that I would have been sad to leave Macedonia, or that I would have made the kind of friendships I have. Who knows how sustainable they will prove to be, but I feel that I have a solid group of friends and acquaintances now in the Balkans. My office was so sweet this morning and all gathered together for a send off, complete with cake and even the presentation of a few very nice pens (I guess these are the kind of gifts I should be expecting now that I'm out in the real world- I would have settled with food). They each wished me well, kissed me twice, and sent me on my way...

In two short hours I'll be landing in Istanbul- How crazy is that? My friend and fellow Sullivan Lauren is meant to pick me up at the airport, but I'm a bit nervous since as a city with 15 million people, finding one another does not sound easy. Very excited for everything there though.. I've got the Rick Steve's Istanbul City Guide downloaded to my iphone for some light plane listening. :)

Hope all is well with you all. I'm thinking about everyone at home-- very excited to be there in a week!

Love love love,
Tess

No comments:

Post a Comment